165 East 125th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Gotham Music Hall first opened in 1903, a time when Harlem was a predominatly affluent white section of uptown Manhattan. The Gotham Music Hall was built solely for plays and vaudeville, with a 1,750-seat auditorium and stage housing that occupied the better part of a square block. It would probably be forgotten today except for the fact that in 1904, owners Sullivan & Kraus hired a young architect named Thomas W. Lamb to do some minor alterations. It was Lamb’s first theatre-related commission, and he went on from there to become one of the masters.
The Gotham Music Hall was taken over by William Fox in 1908 and was operated as a vaudeville & movie theatre. Movies creeped in full-time and eventually replaced stage attractions, but the Gotham Theatre was too old-fashioned to keep up with newer theatres in the area. Over the years, it went through various name changes and reductions in seating capacity— the Odeon, Bon Ton, New 125th Street, and finally the 985-seat Triboro Theatre.
It was demolished in 1965.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater