Woodstown Opera House
13 West Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Opera House opened on Christmas Evening 1885. The first shows were “The Model Husband” and “The Debutante”. The Opera House was on the second floor of the building. The first floor was used for storage and was the location of the dressing rooms for the performers. From 1910 through 1920, vaudeville acts were popular crowd pleasers and the first movies were shown beginning in 1905. The first “talkies” came to Woodstown in about 1933 and a second projector was added to eliminate the need to stop the picture and turn on the lights to change reels.
On April 27, 1939, a fire destroyed the interior of the building. By that time the auditorium was being used only as a movie theatre. From 1956 until 1961 the first floor was occupied by a Firestone tire store.
The owner then converted the first floor into offices and allowed the Curtain Call Club to use the Opera House for an annual rent of one dollar. The end of the Opera House as an entertainment center came on the evening of May 9, 1964 with a performance of “The Lute Song” produced by the Curtain Call Club. The building was recently used as real estate offices and is now home to a law firm.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater