Sliman Theater for the Performing Arts

129 E. Main Street,
New Iberia, LA 70560

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Sliman Theater for the Performing Arts

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The 600-seat Evangeline Theater on Main Street, New Iberia was donated to the city in 1994 after its days as a movie house had ended by its owners, the Sliman family.

The Evangeline Theater was restored to its original Art Deco style appearance in 1997 and reopened in 1998 as the Sliman Theater for the Performing Arts. The theater is home to the Louisiana Crossroads concert series, which is presented by the Arcadiana Arts Council.

Contributed by Bryan

Recent comments (view all 10 comments)

KenRoe
KenRoe on August 16, 2005 at 2:04 pm

Listed in the Film Daily Yearbook; 1941 edition as the Evangeline Theater with 600 seats.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on August 16, 2005 at 3:32 pm

This is a photo of the Evangeline Theater when it was a movie theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 31, 2006 at 8:27 am

Here is a recent photo of the Sliman/Evangeline theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 5, 2006 at 4:55 am

This is a more recent photo of the Evangeline Theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 12, 2007 at 7:39 pm

A recent 2007 photo can be seen here.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 11, 2008 at 5:24 pm

This is another recent photo.

dhowell
dhowell on June 6, 2008 at 9:58 am

The Sliman family donated this theater to the City of New Iberia in 1994. State Representative Bo Ackal initiated efforts to acquire funding to preserve this “Art Deco” gem and restore it to its useful purpose for the community. As a result of these efforts, the City received a State Capital Outlay Grant in 1995 for the proposed project and work began in 1997. The doors of The Sliman Theater for Performing Arts opened in 1998, since then the theater has established itself as a quality venue for performance art.
It’s nice to see that some people still donate to worthy causes. Now the city has a live venue for generations to come if they can maintain it.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 2, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999

Evangeline Theater ** (added 1999 – Building – #99000234)
Also known as Sliman Theatre for the Performing Arts
129 E. Main St., New Iberia

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Bowen, William
Architectural Style: Modern Movement
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1925-1949
Owner: Local Gov't
Historic Function: Recreation And Culture
Historic Sub-function: Theater
Current Function: Recreation And Culture
Current Sub-function: Theater

RoadsideArchitecture.com
RoadsideArchitecture.com on June 5, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Some history from this website:
http://www.cityofnewiberia.com/site402.php

The Evangeline Theater started its life as a wholesale grocery building in the late nineteenth or twentieth century. Remodeled for a movie house in 1929, the building gained its current Art Deco façade and other characteristics during a 1939/40 renovation. The two story brick building’s façade is clad in stucco and pigmented structural glass.

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on April 4, 2013 at 7:39 am

The tall blade sign of this theater is prominently featured in the opening scenes of the 2009 film “In the Electric Mist.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater