1 Upper Green W.,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Mitcham, Surrey, now part of the south of Greater London, on the corner of Upper Green West and St. Mark’s Road. The Majestic Theatre was the fourth of a small circuit of five independent Majestic Theatres that were built in outer London suburbs and the South East of England.
The architect was S.B. Pritlove who designed a pleasing Art Deco suburban cinema which opened on 6th October 1933 with George Arliss starring in “The King’s Vacation”. The exterior was in Midhurst white brick. The interior was designed by the Harlesden based decorating firm of W.E. Greenwoood. It had a 42 feet wide proscenium, a 16 feet deep stage and two dressing rooms. The Majestic Theatre also had a cafe.
The Majestic Theatre was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) in March 1934 and they equipped the theatre with a 3Manual/6Rank Compton organ, with an illuminated console on a lift. The Majestic Theatre was closed on 25th November 1961 with Adam Faith in “What A Whopper” and William Franklyn in “Pit of Darkness”.
The building was then converted into an Alpha Bingo Club, later known as Cesars Bingo Club, which closed around 1978. It was demolished and a Sainsbury’s supermarket was built on the site. This too has been demolished and housing is now on the site in 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater