130 Mitcham Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the south London district of Tooting. The Tooting Electric Pavilion opened in April 1914. The facade had a wide arched entrance, above which was the name of the cinema set in stone. On top at each side was a small dome, supported on pillars. Inside the auditorium the seating was on one floor and there were nine private boxes.
In 1933 the facade was modernised to the plans of architect Leslie C. Norton and it was re-done in an Art Deco style. The name was also changed and it became the Astoria Cinema. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was an independent cinema operated by Davison & Singer and in 1938 S.M. Super Cinemas took control (this was the Southan Morris chain).
From 26th August 1954 it was taken over by the Essoldo chain, but it was never re-named Essoldo. The Astoria Cinema closed on 11th April 1970 with Pierre Brice in “Samson and the Slave Queen (Zorro Contro Maciste)” and Dale Robertson in “Blood on the Arrow”. It was demolished in 1971 and the site was re-developed for a supermarket (Somerfield) and by 2017 a Savers and adjoining Iceland.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater