Essoldo Hackney

184 Mare Street,
London, E8 3RD

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

Located in the east London district of Hackney. The building was built in 1777 as St. Thomas’s Square Presbyterian Chapel and it was enlarged in 1824.

In 1912 it was converted into the Empress Electric Theatre which had a Beaux-Arts style and 1,100 seats. A ‘straight’ organ was installed, but it is not known if this was a new installation or the original Chapel organ.

In early-1933 it was closed and the building was totally gutted apart from the four walls. Architect George Coles re-designed an Art Deco styled cinema, giving it a new modern styled facade and inside the auditorium, seating was in stalls and circle levels with a total capacity of 1670. A Compton 3Manual/5Ranks organ was installed. It re-opened still bearing the (by then) old fashioned name Empress Electric Theatre on 4th September 1933 with Robert Woolsey and Bert Wheeler in “So This Is Africa” and Constance Bennett in “Our Betters”.

It remained an independently operated cinema until 1955 when it was purchased by the Essoldo Circuit and re-named Essoldo Cinema. It closed on 18th November 1967 with John Lennon in “How I Won the War” and Ron Foster in “The Music Box Kid”.

It was converted into a Bingo Hall which was very successful. Latterly operating as a Top Rank Bingo Club it closed in 1993 and the building was demolished in August 1995.

Student housing was built on the site, but the original arched gateway to the former Chapel’s burial ground was retained next to the current new building.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

Ian
Ian on April 30, 2006 at 7:02 pm

Exterior photo of the Essoldo as a bingo hall here:–

View link

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater