Odeon Taunton

Heron Gate, Riverside,
Taunton, TA1 2LP

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

| Street View

The latest Odeon Taunton opened on 4th August 1994, one of the first Odeon multiplexes to be built during the Rank Organisation era. It’s opening signalled the closure of the two-screen Plaza (ex-1930’s Odeon) in the town centre.

The cinema was designed in the style of the classic 1930’s Odeon, Art Deco style cinemas. The cream fascias, curved corners and striking 20m high tower all add to the Art Deco effect.

Built with only five screens (it was initially meant to be seven, and on a different patch of land to where it ended up being), the Odeon became very popular, very quickly, with a turnover of almost 500,000 admissions per year. In 1997 Odeon applied to extend the cinema to eight screens, and the application was finally approved in 2004. Happily, the extension retains the style of the building, although unfortunately the quest for bigger screen sheets has meant screen tabs have now been removed.

Contributed by Dan Harris

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

SethLewis
SethLewis on September 26, 2005 at 11:08 pm

Have they extended the cinema yet…Saw a few films there in a spate a few years ago FaceOff Little Voice Boogie Nights and nothing for a while…a serviceable multiplex which could be bigger in a community which deserves slightly bigger and better

DanHarris
DanHarris on September 27, 2005 at 1:27 am

Yes, the cinema has finally been extended after many years of refused planning applications. The program included adding a further three screens to the north western elevation, new customer toilets and staff areas, and extending and remodelling the foyer. The three new auditoria are all of stadia design and seat 86, 153 and 215. A few compromises had to be made – screen 4 lost around 30 seats to create access to the new auditoria, and we lost around 30 car park spaces, although as yet this hasn’t been a problem. The existing five screens were all refurbished back in 2001 to include better acoustic wall panelling, and the screen surfaces were all enlarged recently.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on December 15, 2006 at 9:21 am

Opened originally as a 5-screen Odeon on 4th August 1994 with a seating capacity of 998. The extension with 3 additional screens opened in March 2005.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on December 17, 2006 at 1:06 pm

Three photographs of the Odeon Taunton:
1. Photo by Dan Harris taken soon after opening in 1994:
View link
2. Night view
View link
3. Close-up of tower
View link

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on December 17, 2006 at 1:09 pm

Sorry…here is the above link 3 again:
View link

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater