110 S. Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Schulman Theatres
Firms: Pettigrew & Worley
Styles: Art Deco
Originally built as a hotel in 1885, it began screening movies on the first floor level in the early-1900’s. It was named Queen Theatre on May 7, 1914. It was remodeled in an Art Deco style in 1939 to the plans of architectural firm Pettigrew & Worley, screening Ginger Rogers in “5th Avenue Girl” as its December 1939 reopening movie. The Queen Theatre operated into the mid-1970’s.
It then fell into a state of disrepair which occurred over several decades. The Downtown Byron Association purchased the building in 2010 and a community effort realised its restoration. The façade was restored in 2012. The Queen Theatre was reopened in May 2018 as a single screen movie theatre with some live performance use. Since reopening the Queen Theatre has screened an average of 5 movies a week and has been host to the Byron High Theatre Department’s “Holiday Radio Play”, and the Queen’s Film Society meetings.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.