Comet Drive-In

151 Morrell Road,
Dunbar, PA 15431

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Comet Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Comet Drive-In was opened in July 1950. Open April to September. Has a capacity for 425 cars. Has FM radio speakers. Owned by B. Erwin. Has swap meets onsite. Reopened in 1993 and twinned in 1994.

Contributed by Dave Bonan

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

Pghfavorite
Pghfavorite on January 11, 2008 at 2:27 am

This drive-in was once part of the old Manos Theater chain of Greensburg, Pennsylvania.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Here is an October 1959 ad from the Uniontown Evening Standard:
http://tinyurl.com/yb3pc6y

Chris1982
Chris1982 on October 3, 2014 at 8:11 am

The drive-in is located halfway between Connellsville & Dunbar, PA. It has made the switch to digital projection.

rivest266
rivest266 on October 5, 2014 at 6:23 pm

June 22nd, 1950 grand opening ad in photo section

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on December 1, 2017 at 10:59 pm

From the Connellsville Daily Courier, June 14, 1950: Anna Marie Fasson, 19, of Connellsville, R. D., was the winner of the contest to name the new drive-in theatre at Morrell under sponsorship of the Morrell Amusement Company. The name chosen for which Miss Fasson will receive a price was “The Comet.” It is planned to open the theatre within the next few weeks.

The 1952 Theatre Catalog listed the Comet in Morrell, Exec: A. C. DeMichelis, Strand Th., Dunbar, and Louis Hanna, Hanna Th. Service, Pittsburgh, capacity 300. 1955-56 edition listed the Comet in Connellsville, Exec: Ted Laskey and Moore Th. Serv.

The 1952-59 Motion Picture Almanacs listed the Comet in Morrell, owner Hanna Thea. Ser., capacity 300. It was gone from the 1961 edition. For the 1963-66 editions, the owner had changed to Ted Laskey. It stayed in Morrell through 1976, then the 1978-88 editions put it in Connellsville, owner Monessen Amu., capacity 425.

A July 1967 article announcing extensive renovations said it was part of the Manos Theatre chain. Again on July 28, 1971 it held a “grand opening tonight to celebrate its new, bright look.” At that point, it had a panoramic screen an new marquee.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater