500 N. Market Street,
4 people favorited this theater
The Queen Theater in Wilmington, Delaware was built in 1915 at a cost of $250,000. Seating on opening day February 16, 1916, is given as 2,000 seats. By 1941 it was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. In 1942 architect William Harold Lee remodeled the theater. The Queen Theater closed in April of 1959. The last movie to play there was “House on Haunted Hill”.
This is a description of the interior given on a Delaware history site: “Its auditorium and balcony seated 2,000 people and was designed to offer a completely unobstructed view of the screen and stage. The lobby walls were decorated in Alaskan marble, the only such use of that material in the country.
Above the large stage was a mural representing ‘Science’ and on either side of the walls above the balcony were six different paintings representing themes such as ‘Music’, ‘Sculpture’, and ‘Beauty’. A Japanese garden formed the backdrop for the stage".
It re-opened as a live performance venue on April 1, 2011.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater