146 High Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Located in the inner south London district of Clapham. The Majestic Theatre opened on 27th August 1914 and actress Miss Irene Vanbrugh attended. It was built by a local company Majestic (Clapham) Ltd.
The prolific cinema architect John Stanley Beard was employed to designed the cinema and he did a splendid job, as usual. The front entrance was narrow and wedged between shops on both sides. The name ‘Majestic’ was above the doors in terra cotta tilework at the top of the building. The auditorium was set well back and ran parallel to the street behind the shops. Seating was in stalls and balcony levels and was tastefully decorated in white and gold colours in a typical Edwardian style. A feature was the dome in the ceiling which could be opened up between shows to clear the cigarette smoke. It had a small organ installed to augment the orchestra.
It was taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres (PCT) in October 1928 and they were taken over by the Gaumont British Cinemas circuit in February 1929. By 1930 a Compton 3Manual/8Ranks organ had been installed which replaced the original small organ. The console was in a fixed position in the orchestra pit and the organ chambers were located under the stage. The organ was opened by Leslie James.
In October 1940, bombs fell close to the Majestic Theatre and caused it to be closed. It was patched up and allowed to re-open on 9th February 1941. It was re-named Gaumont Theatre on the 19th June 1950.
The Gaumont closed on 5th November 1960 with Lawrence Olivier in “The Entertainer”. The balcony was converted into a recording studio but the main theatre space lay closed and boarded up and in use as a store place. In 1969 it was cleaned up and re-opened as a bingo club, the balcony area was still in use as a recording studio.
Bingo use ceased in around 1983 and it was converted into Cinatra’s nightclub in 1985. The nightclub remains open today and is known as Infernos.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater