33 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Electric Pavilion opened on 27th October 1910. It was one of Israel Davis’s chain of Electric Pavilion’s. Soon after opening it became the Pavilion Cinema. In 1913, it was enlarged to give a seating capacity of 921. In 1923 it was re-named Clapham Pavilion Cinema.
The cinema was closed in December 1940, possibly due to conditions during World War II. It re-opened in March 1942.
The Pavilion Cinema was equipped for Cinemascope in 1954, and Richard Burton in "The Robe" was the first film that it screened in this process, opening on 19th September 1954. It closed on 9th February 1958 with Steve Terrell in "Invasion of the Hell Creatures"(Invasion of the Saucer Men) and Jeff Chandler in "Man in the Shadow". The cinema was demolished in 1958 and the Pavilion Petrol Station was erected in February 1959. Later a burger bar operated from the site. In 2009, a new building containing a Burger King, a Tesco Express store and a Radha Krishna Temple share the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater