Gaumont Walham Green

9 Vanston Place,
London, SW6 1AY

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Walham Green - Red Hall/Gaumont - interior, 5 March 2000

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located in the Walham Green area of the district of Fulham in west London, this opened as the Red Hall Picture Palace on 18th December 1913 with Len Bethel in “David Copperfield”. It was designed by architect H. George Leslie and the entrance facade was dominated by a figure of Mercury perched on top of a windmill shaped tower. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels

It was taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres (PCT) in 1921 and they in turn were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres from February 1929.

It retained the name Red Hall Picture Palace until 8th May 1950 when it was re-named Gaumont. The final film programme was screened on 8th December 1962, Jayne Mansfield in “It Happened in Athens” and Victor Mature in “Fury at Furnace Creek”.

The building was immediatly converted into a Top Rank Bingo Hall, and was given a modern look on the exterior when sheets of metal cladding were placed over the original facade and the statue figure of Mercury had been removed. It was last operated as a Mecca Bingo Club and retains the original Beaux-Arts style decoration within the auditorium and the original facade still exists hidden from view behind the cladding.

Mecca Bingo closed in March 2007 and the building lay empty until December 2011 when demolition work began. The work was delayed several times, and was completed in April 2012. Housing was built on the site.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 27, 2007 at 8:54 am

After over 45 years in operation as a bingo hall, the last game was played on Sunday 25th March 2007. Closure came in advance of new government ‘no smoking’ laws in public places which come into effect in June. There is concern for the future of this historic building which is not protected by any listed status.

Polycrates50
Polycrates50 on October 4, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Regrettably, this historic building was demolished a couple of years ago to make room for a block of flats. A plaque remembers it.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater