Granada Kings Cross
Euston Road and Tonbridge Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Wylson & Long
Previous Names: Euston Palace of Varieties, Euston Theatre, Euston Music Hall, Regent Theatre, Century Cinema
Opened as a live theatre known as the Euston Palace of Varieties on 26th December 1900. It had a prime position on Euston Road at the corner of Tonbridge Street, directly opposite St. Pancras Railway Station in the north London inner-city district of Kings Cross. The architect’s were Bertie Crewe, together with Wylson & Long, all well known at that time for designing theatres in the United Kingdom.
Seating was provided for a capacity of 1,310, located in stalls, circle, balcony and two side boxes on each side of the proscenium at dress circle level.
It went through a couple of name changes early on; Euston Theatre and Euston Music Hall before becoming the Regent Theatre in the 1920’s. In 1925 it was owned and operated by Variety Theatres Consolidated Ltd (VTC) and Cecil Bernstein (brother of Sydney Bernstein) of Granada Theatres Ltd. became involved.
Architect Andrew Mather made some alterations for conversion to cinema use in December 1932 and from 14th October 1935 it became a full time cinema operated by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) remaining with that chain until 24th December 1949 when an Independent operator took over.
The Granada Theatre’s chain took over from July 1952. Improvements were carried out by architect Leonard Allen with interior decoration by W.F. Mudd and it re-opened 13th September 1954 as the Century Cinema.
It was re-named Granada Theatre from 6th May 1967 but closed on 4th April 1968 with David McCallum in “The Heroin Gang” (aka “Sol Madrid”) and Deborah Kerr in “Eye of the Devil”. The building was purchased by the local Camden Council and an extension of the Town Hall was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.