Cliff Theater

420 Main Street,
Wray, CO 80758

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Cliff Theater ... Wray Colorado

The Cliff Theater was opened on May 15, 1950. Beautiful, clean and well-run family movie theater in the small Eastern Plains Colorado town of Wray. Still has a crying room for parents with babies, though the smoking balcony has been shut down on account of local hoodlums.

Contributed by Mike Booth

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

clifftheater
clifftheater on October 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm

The Cliff Theater is now a non-profit and called the Cliff Cultural Community Center. Check out our website at clifftheater.wordpress.com and become a fan on Facebook at View link

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on August 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm

From 2010 a photo image of the Cliff Theater along with a close up of the Cliff Theater Sign in Wray.

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on May 31, 2019 at 9:08 pm

From the May 13, 1950 issue of BoxOffice magazine:

WRAY, COLO. – The 500-seat, $100,000 Cliff Theatre will open May 15 for J. K. Powell and J. A. Hughes. Five hundred Kroehler Push-Back seats have been installed and RCA sound equipment is ready for installation. The front of the Cliff is to be finished immediately. The first story of the building, to the marquee, is to be finished in Roman brick Permastone. The upper part will be white stucco flanked with a darker shade of stucco.

Walls of the foyer are finished in ivory stucco and the floor is carpeted in a leaf design of maroon, browns and tans. A cry room is provided in the balcony.

Seats in the auditorium are staggered and are of dark green leather. Backs of the seats are of a dark green corded material. The auditorium walls are rose and are draped with a gold brocade material. A hospital benefit is being planned as part of the opening ceremonies.

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on November 28, 2019 at 10:43 am

An obituary for James K. “Kenny” Powell ran in the March 3, 1975. He got his start as a school boy operating a movie house in Palisade, Neb. until 1933 when he opened the Wray Theatre with partner Jim Hughes. They opened the Cliff in 1950 and sold it to Sam Amandola in 1969.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater