No one has favorited this theater yet
“The Rialto Theater was located on Main Street on the site of the Riverside Liquors parking lot. Originally used for live performances, it was later changed to a movie theater with two merchant shops on the ground floor facing the street. Most indoor community events, including the fledgling government in 1898, held their meetings in its large auditorium. Regrettably, this important building was demolished in the 1980’s by the then First Fidelity Bank next door to make way for a drive-up window and parking area. Before making their planned improvements, the bank moved out of the borough”.
From “A Pictural History of High Bridge N.J.”, presented by the High Bridge Historical Society, page 92.
Page 168 photo caption: “The cast of ‘Sixty Miles an Hour’ at the Rialto Hall on September 29th and 30th, 1930”.
Page 169 photo caption: “The stage curtain at the Rialto Hall, with advertisements of local merchants. With the advent of moving pictures, the Hall was also used as a movie theater.”
The 1944 Film Daily Yearbook lists a Highbridge Theater with 400 seats as closed (the 1945 FDY shows it again being open). A town of this size most likely only had one theater.
Any additional information on this theater would be greatly appreciated.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater