1154 Main Street,
4 people favorited this theater
The Sauconia Theatre was opened on September 14, 1940, under the management of John Kofler, who had previously exhibited movies at the American Legion building in Hellertown. It was closed in 1966, but was refurbished and reopened in 1968 by Ellie Kofler, daughter of the original owner.
At that time it was renamed The Movies. The struggling theatre closed again for several years in the 1980’s, and again in 2001. Elle Kofler died in May 2002.
One final event took place in the old building on March 24, 2002, when a television cable company presented a live telecast of the Academy Awards ceremony. Since then the building has passed through the hands of various owners who have spoken of converting into community center, housing for the elderly or a medical facility. None of these plans have come to fruition.
The building was put up ‘For Sale’ in January 2012. In 2015, converted by a dentist into his offices, with the rear one third of the auditorium demolished to provide parking spaces.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater