Grand Theater

109 Jefferson Street,
Huntsville, AL 35801

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Grand Theater opened in 1925, replacing an earlier Grand Theater on the site which was destroyed by fire in December 1924. A Robert-Morton theater organ was installed in this new Grand Theater. By 1941 it was operated by the Lyric Amusement Co., a subsidiary of the Nashville, TN based Crescent Amusement Co. The Grand Theater closed May 25, 1960.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

kencmcintyre on November 22, 2007 at 1:51 am

There is a short bio of the Grand on this page:

reg41 on March 3, 2013 at 1:43 am

When I came to Huntsville in 1966, the Grand had been closed for a few years, but the building still stood. What a shame that it was torn down, to create another parking lot. It had a high arch, nickelodeon-type entrance. On a wall at the Parkway Place Mall in Huntsville, there is a mural created from an old photograph. It shows a late 1930’s view of Jefferson Street, and the Grand is promenently shown.

dallasmovietheaters on November 4, 2015 at 12:50 am

The original Grand Theatre burned in December 1924 and the re-opening is usually seen as an entirely new structure though in the same spot with the same owner launching in 1925. The theatre went with a Spanish exterior with Power’s projectors. It was said to be a 1,000 seat theatre at opening with 600 downstairs and 400 int he balcony. C.L. Hackworth operated the original and “new” Grand, the Jefferson which specialized in westerns and the, then, lightly used and older Elk’s Opera House in Hunstville. Jack A. Marshall was the manager of the new Grand and Lee Erwin was an early organist.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater