Mansford Street and Florida Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the east London inner city district of Bethnal Green at the corner of Mansford Street and Florida Street. Originally built in 1889 as the Excelsior Hall & Swimming Baths. The original architect was A. Wooster Reeves.
In 1921 the building was converted into the Excelsior Kinema, to the plans of the architectural firm Emden & Egan. Minor reconstruction was carried out in 1926 by the firm of Frank Matcham and Company. The cinema ran a policy of films and variety, the stage being 18 feet deep and there were five dressing rooms.
In 1939 it was remodeled again, this time both the exterior and exterior were given a more modern Art Deco style by Maple & Company of London, one of the top interior designers and retailers of furniture at that time.
The Excelsior Kinema was always an independently operated cinema and it eventually closed on 13th August 1961 with Donald Crisp in “Greyfriars Bobby” and Brian Keith in “Ten Who Dared”. The seating capacity at closing was given as 661. It continued to screen Bollywood films for several years and operated as a Star Bingo Club on Sundays. Demolition came in 1969 and a housing estate was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater