Castle Cinema

64 Brooksby's Walk,
London, E9 6DA

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Castle Cinema

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Castle Electric Theatre opened on 8th September 1913 in Homerton, a district of Hackney in the east of London. Total seating was provided for 619 in stalls and a small balcony area.

It was an independently operated cinema for most of its life. From mid-1943 it was operated by S.M. Super Cinemas Ltd. which was headed by W. Southan Morris. In 1954 S.M. Super Cinemas were taken over by the Newcastle-upon-Tyne based Essoldo Cinemas circuit and the Castle Cinema came under their management.

This was not to last too long though, as Essoldo closed down the Castle Cinema on 24th May 1958 with Jerry Lewis in “The Sad Sack” and Fernando Lamas in “Lost Treasure of the Amazon” (Jivaro).

The building was converted into an independent bingo club which closed around 1979. It was then used as a storage warehouse until 1983, when it became a snooker club. In March 1994 a second floor had been extended across from the front of the balcony and the former stalls was in use as an independent bingo club, with a snooker club operating in the newly extended balcony area upstairs.

In April 2006, the building underwent a renovation internally and externally and became as a snooker club on two levels known as Brookboss Snooker Club. In April 2014, the upstairs section was converted into an upscale bistro burger bar, which the downstairs is a Spa convenience store (mini-supermarket).

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Buffer on July 19, 2014 at 8:33 am

Since April, the upper floor has become the E17 a smart burger bar and bistro. The has low lighting, leather banquettes and retro fittings. Best of all the original curved ceiling is shown in the issue of Time Out for July 15-21, 2014 in the Eating and Drinking section.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater