4 Rue de Rivoli,
1 person favorited this theater
Originally opened as the Rialto Cinema prior to 1928 when it screened “The Jazz Singer”. It was the first cinema in Nice to be equipped for ‘talking pictures’. It was remodelled in 1939. In 1959 after a major renovation, Todd A-O screen and equipment was installed but in 1962 the theatre was closed, gutted and a beautiful Cinerama theatre was built, most of the three strip Cinerama features were shown, including “How The West Was Won”. In 1964 the projection equipment was replaced and two Phillips DP 70 were installed. Single lens Cinerama and Super Panavision pictures were shown, the first one was “It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World” on 17th January 1964. The theatre had a giant curved louvered screen of about 22 by 11 metres covered by a beautiful set of golden travellers.
Unfortunately in 1978 it succumbed to the mutiplex disease and was transformed into a five screen mutiplex. Although it still shows first run films as of today and it is impecably maintained, it lacks the great looks of its past.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater