Teatro Dom Pedro V
Largo de Santo Agostinho,
2 people favorited this theater
The Teatro Dom Pedro V was built in 1858. It is the oldest theatre in Macau, and also claims to be the first Western-style theatre in China. The architect of this theatre was Macauese Pedro Marques and is in Portuguese design. The theatre is located on Calcada do Teatro at the corner of Largo de Santo Agostinho, so local people used to call it Teatro de Santo Agostinho or Cinema de Santo Agostinho.
With total seating of 360 seats, it is today functioning as a concert hall. From the end of 19th century to the early 20th century, the theatre was a venue mainly for drama, opera and concerts. It was also a “hot spot” for local high society activities. From 1915-1929, the theatre was rented to show movies and changed its name to the Teatro Ma Gau. It later was renamed the Cinema Macau. By the 1930’s, when more and more modern cinemas were built, the theatre once again returned to live performances. Until early-1980’s, the old, broken theatre became the “Crazy Paris Shows”, featuring adult entertainment.
After the restoration by the government, this theatre was listed as one of the historical buildings of the Historic Centre of Macau, which was listed on the World Heritage list by UNESCO in July 2005.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater