Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue at the Trocadero
13 Coventry Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Located in the Trocadero Building, which opened as the Trocadero Palace of Varieties Theatre on 30th October 1882. It later became the Royal Trocadero Music Hall and then the Eden Theatre which closed on 24th February 1894. Over the following decades the building went through many uses, was gutted internally and partially re-built and the site expanded to include a Lyons Corner House restaurant and cabaret room.
The current 7-screen multiplex cinema opened on 1st November 1991 as the MGM Trocadero Cinemas. Seating was originally provided for 1,393. The entrance was originally on Windmill Street and the cinema were reached via escalators which led to an upstairs foyer which had hanging on its wall, a 100 years old painted mural by artist Gerald Moira depicting an Arthurian scene. This had originally been hung in the building when it was a restaurant.
MGM were later taken over by Virgin, who in turn were taken over by UGC and they operated the cinemas until mid-2005 when Cineworld took control. By 2008, the foyer and box office area had been transferred into an a space previously occupied by the Pepsi IMAX Cinema inside the Trocadero Centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater