Boarman's Roxy Theatre
149 East Main Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Boarman’s Roxy Theatre was reopened in downtown Shelbyville on November 5, 2003. Barely ready for its grand re-opening, after a team of volunteers made a bet the theater would open on the date of its closing 37 years prior, the Roxy premiered with a free screening of “Mary Poppins” to a standing room only crowd. A row of the late Bob Boarman’s pink and mint green classic cars parked outside the premiere as the brand new marquee lit up the streets.
Having gone decades without a movie theater in a twenty mile radius, Shelbyville decided to re-open its defunct theater in the dying downtown.
Originally called the Playhouse, in a block of 1880’s brick buildings which was leased in November 1936 to the Frisina Amusement Company. In August 1939, the theater was remodeled with air conditioning and other modern conveniences and renamed the New Roxy with 424 seats. The Roxy ran movies until November 6, 1966, when its final curtain fell on “Mary Poppins”. The theater was stripped of its marquee soon after and hosted a myriad of specialty stores until the movie house became unrecognizable in its history of many faces.
Today, Boarman’s Roxy hosts new and second-run movies, focusing on family entertainment. Shows are $3.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater