1221 W. Crawford Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Movies 1 & 2 in Salina, KS, was the second cinema in the fledgling The Movies franchised theatres chain, and was purpose built and opened June 30, 1971, as an anchor to the existing Salina Shopping Center.
The Movies 1 & 2 exterior was designed in nostalgia nickelodeon form. This was the first theatre chain to hark back to early day movie presentation and do away with marquee letterboards, replaced instead by tracer light poster display cases.
The Movies lobby color decor was red and gold, with thick pile carpet, flocked foil wallpaper, leaded glass light fixtures, carved poster frames, and antique magic lantern accents.
Each auditorium had one center isle and held 250 seats. Auditorium walls were lined with wide stripe red and gold drapes. Spotlighted gold satin stage curtains were sewn in expensive Austrian panel fashion.
In those pre-Hooters days, management hired an all female staff, and uniformed these shapely young ladies in yellow hot pants, flesh hue turtle neck sweaters, and red monogram vest.
In 1974, it was taken over by the Dickinson Theatres chain and renamed Sunset Cinemas. It was closed in 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater