160 W. Central Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
The Meteor Theater was designed and constructed by Mr. Harry Kelley at a cost of about $30,000. Mr. Kelley believed theater goers loved good music, so one of his heaviest expenses was the Barton Silver-Toned pipe organ, which was erected at a cost of $6,000 and it was built especially for the Meteor Theater and was the same make as the one in the Palace Theatre in Fayetteville, AR.
The grand opening of the Meteor Theater was August 1, 1927 with over 12,000 people attending. “Venus of Venice”, a strong First National picture at the time, was shown at the grand opening.
D. M. Greer, president of the Rotary Club made the welcoming address and Miss Gladys Cosnel of Fayetteville played several selections on the pipe organ.
The Meteor Theater introduced “talkies” on December 20, 1929.
It was renamed Plaza Theater by 1940.
The pipe organ has been refurbished and is now at the Presbyterian church in Bentonville.
In 2014, the building is being restored and renovated to reopen as a music and art venue, (a ‘soft’ opening on June 6, 2014).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater