Piccadilly Cinema Centre

700 Hay Street,
Perth, WA 6000

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

| Street View

The Piccadilly Cinema Centre was Perth’s “only surviving grand old Art Deco style cinema”. Originally the seating capacity was for 1,100 when the cinema opened as a single screen on 10th March 1938, and it retains its style and grace today.

It was converted into a triple screen around 1992. Screen 1 in the former circle has 423 seats, screens 2 & 3 in the former front orchestra stalls have 110 & 101 seats. The cinema screened new release films and the venue was part of the Regent Cinemas group. It was closed suddenly on 15th October 2013.

Contributed by Steve

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on December 20, 2006 at 12:15 pm

The Piccadilly Theatre opened on 10th March 1938. Located above a street level shopping arcade similar to the Plaza Theatre, Perth. It was built for Claude de Bernales and was designed by the architectural firm of Baxter Cox-Leighton. The original seating capacity was 1,100.

In 1967 it was equipped with 70mm projection equipment.

Mark747
Mark747 on May 17, 2010 at 5:15 am

Exterior photo from 1981:
View link
Box Office with ET advertising:
View link
Auditorium showing Cinemascope screen from 1982:
View link
Auditorium showing the Circle and Projection Box from 1982:
View link
Art Deco Candy Bar:
View link

cinemasimon
cinemasimon on October 16, 2013 at 8:57 pm

This cinema showed it’s last film on the 15th of October 2013. The current business owner was in arrears of AU$485,000 and his lease was cancelled by CBRE on the 30th of September. The NEC 2000 digital projector was sold privately to a single screen cinema on 13th October. All remaining speakers, projection equipment, sound equipment and confectionery are currently being removed from site.

Pictures taken by myself 2 days before it closed are available on my flickr account. (flickr.com/mirthandmayhem)

rickmagnum
rickmagnum on October 24, 2013 at 1:12 am

Does anyone know where the equipment is going?

cinemasimon
cinemasimon on January 13, 2014 at 12:12 am

Hi Rick, The Digital projector, servers, and associated equipment went to the Cygney Cinema in Como. Everything else belongs to the building, which is leased out by CBRE. So it stays in the building. however, some of the quipment that Cyril bought during his time there were removed by him and a few select others and taken away. The projectors, platters and sound equipment are still there. As is some of the candy bar equipment.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater