2501 N. Fourth Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The curtain was raised at the 693-seat theater at North Fourth Street and Schuylkill Street on October 6, 1949. “In the Good Old Summertime” with Judy Garland and Van Johnson was the main attraction. The one-story brick theater cost $175,000 to build.
The entrance had a cool, curving corner marquee of stainless steel. The outside lobby was paneled in birchwood with indirect cove lights. The main auditorium was decorated in blue and cocoa with fabric hung walls, acoustical ceiling, wood wainscoting and lights on the side walls. All seating was on a single floor. The building was air-conditioned. Additional facilities included a Television lounge which could seat around 20 persons, a crying room, and a free parking lot.
The theater closed April 9, 1972, without fanfare. The last film was Cecil B. DeMille’s “The Ten Commandments”. The theater equipment and furnishing were sold and the building later razed for a parking garage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater