4 people favorited this theater
The Sutton Coldfield Odeon (re-named Empire Cinema in 2006) and Harrogate Odeon are the only two in this distinctive chain to share a near identical design (in Sutton Coldfield by architect Cecil Clavering of the Harry Weedon practice) opening in April and September 1936 resepctively. The Odeon Harrogate opened on 28th September 1936 with Gene Gerrard in “Where’s Sally”. Seating was provided for a total of 1,647; 1,049 in the stalls and 598 in the circle.
Quintessential ‘Odeon’ external design involving curved entrance, tall slender Art Deco fin, faience tiles and brick faced auditorium
The auditorium was streamlined with no direct lighting. It was sub-divided in August 1972 with screen 1 forming the former circle and the front stalls with seating for 532 and screen’s 2 & 3 formed under the circle with 108 seats each.
In 1989, the circle and front stalls were separated into 2 screens making 4 in total. It has since been modernised and the circle sub-divided giving the 5 screeens today which seat (in 2008); 298, 239, 102, 80 and 337.
The Odeon is a Grade II Listed building
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater