1 person favorited this theater
The Electra Palace Theatre in Elsecar opened on 27 August 1912 and seated 600 on the single sloping floor. It had been designed by T. Menson Robinson and Percy Roberts and built by Messrs. Longden & Son of Sheffield. It was very well appointed with oak panelling in the foyer and tip-up seats throughout the auditorium, the more expensive one being better upholstered and the cheapest probably wooden seats. There were two electric fans to extract hot air and the building was centrally heated in winter.
By 1930 a Western Electric sound system had been installed and the seating was now reduced to 450. It was renamed the Palace in May 1938 and the Futurist from August of the same year.
The cinema closed relatively late in 1985 and was then converted into a club, which itself closed soon after and the cinema became an auction room. After 1995 it became unused.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater