20 Carlisle Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Australian National Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Previous Names: Victory Cinema, Hoyts Victory Theatre
Located in the beach suburb of St. Kilda. Originally built in 1920, designed by architect Cecil F. Keeley. It opened as the Victory Cinema on 18th April 1921 with Thomas Meighan in “Conrad in his Quest of his Youth”. The original seating capacity was for 2,600. By 1928 it had been taken over by Hoyts Theatres and they employed architect Cedric Heise Ballantyne to re-design the building into an Art Deco style, with a slighty reduced seating capacity of 2,500. It re-opened on 19th March 1928 with Ronald Colman in “The Magic Flame”. The building was operated as a Hoyts theatre until closing in 1971.
It was then converted into the home of the National Theatre from 7th September 1974. The dress circle area has been retained as a 783-seat auditorium with 35mm and 16mm capability. The former stalls area is now in use as rehearsal space and offices.
The venue has been a site for both the Melbourne International Film Festival and the St Kilda Film Festival.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.