110 E. Main Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Jefferson Theater was built in 1912 in a Greek Revival style by architect W.W. Keenan. (The building had previously been a bank built in 1901.)
Richmond architect C.K. Howell worked on the theatre after a 1915 fire. Philadelphia architect William H. Lee worked on the theatre at some time, likley the redesign of the facade in 1925, since it resembles his work.
In 1969, the Jefferson Theater was renamed Cinema Theater.
In January 1984, the Peanut Gallery balcony became its own auditorium, with 184 stadium seated seats and a movie screen 12.5 high x 23 feet wide. The main floor auditorium of 369 seats has a movie screen 12 feet high x 26.5 feet tall. Renamed The Movie Palace the theatre switched to second run movies because of competition from suburban multiplexes.
In 1993, the theatre returned to its original name, the Jefferson Theater.
The Jefferson Theater closed on June 15, 2006 for restoration and renovations to be carried out and re-opened onNovember 27, 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater