St. James Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
When Associated British Cinemas(ABC) took over the Union Cinema Co. Ltd. chain in October 1937, they acquired the partially built Theatre Royal in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. The former Theatre Royal and Hippodrome (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures) had been destroyed by fire on 12th May 1936. The Union Cinema Co. Ltd. were in the process of completely replacing it to the designs of Keeble C. Allflat. It opened under ABC control on 6th April 1938 with Ronald Colman in “The Prisoner of Zenda”. It had 1,030 seats and a full stage (with high fly tower) and dressing rooms. It was equipped with a A.B.T.H sound system. In June 1955 it was equipped with a 30ft wide CinemaScope screen. During the 1950’s the Theatre Royal presented films and stage shows. In early-1962 it became a part-time bingo club operating as an Alpha Bingo Club with films on certain evenings.
It closed to films on 14th April 1962 with Cliff Richard in “The Young Ones” & William Franklyn in “Pit of Darkness”. It was converted into a full-time Gala Bingo Club. Over the years, this has been modernised, but there are still many decorative features remaining inside the auditorium. By 2020 it is independently operated as the Ritz Bingo Club.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater