Tower Street & 1/2 Sedgeford Lane,
2 people favorited this theater
The Majestic Cinema first opened its doors on May 26, 1928 with Ramon Navaro in “Ben Hur”. It seated 1,149 in stalls and single balcony and had been designed by local Kings Lynn architects J.L. Carnell and W.D. White. An extremely elegant cinema with much polished mahogany and a delightful mosaic floor incorporating the Majestic name in the foyer. Other decorative features include many stained glass windows. Additional facilities at the Majestic Cinema were a ballroom and cafe.
It was built as an independent but was taken over by Union Cinemas in 1934 and then became part of ABC Theatres when Union was bought out by ABC. It was however never renamed as ABC’s main house in the town was the Theatre Royal.
It was sold to an independent again in 1975 and on June 25, 1977 Majestic 2 opened with 198 seats in the former ballroom. In 2000 this was refurbished with seating reduced to 136 and it is now known as screen 3.
In 1991 the auditorium was twinned creating a 400 seat cinema (screen 2) in the circle, which was extended forward to the proscenium. The stalls became the 450 seat screen 1. Current seating capacities (in 2008) are for 313, 301 and 123.
Since 2001, the Majestic Cinema has been designated a Grade II Listed building, as much of the interior decoration survives. It narrowly avoided demolition in 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater