Capitol Theatre

20 North Street,
Auburn, NY 13021

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 5 comments

aubcinjim51
aubcinjim51 on January 30, 2013 at 11:41 pm

The actual “Grand Theater” or what they called the Opera House Block was auctioned off on September 25, 1918 including other properties owned including the Cornell Motion Picture Theater on Green Street and the Burtis Estate home on West Genesee Street. The Capital Theater was the only ‘non-Schine’ theater during its heyday after 1938. They (Schine) owned the Jefferson on State St, the Palace on Genesee St and the Auburn on South St at the time in Auburn. The Capital exhibited ‘lesser-fare’ content mostly because the Schine Company wouldn’t allow Mr. Wallace who owned the Capital anything else.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 30, 2013 at 10:54 pm

A partial list of buildings designed by Leon H.Lempert & Son (PDF file) attributes the design of the Burtis Opera House to Leon H.Lempert, Sr.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm

auburnbeer: This house was never called Burtis Auditorium. The Auditorium was located at 80 Water Street, and was built in 1904. It later became the Strand Theatre.

auburnbeer
auburnbeer on January 14, 2013 at 4:47 am

When did the name change to the Burtis Auditorium?

spectrum
spectrum on October 17, 2009 at 7:24 pm

From the google photos this looks to be demolished. Just a parking lot now.