137 E. Jefferson Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Johnson, McKinney & Schenck
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The original Diana Theatre opened as the Grand Theatre by 1915 and became the Diana Theatre in 1926 (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures) and was owned and operated by the Paikos' family for the remainder of its life life. Jim Paikos' father Nicholas opened the theatre. Nicholas was a Greek immigrant coming to America at the age of 14, but the Diana Theatre was named after a Roman goddess. A naming contest was implemented and a young boy won a $10 gold piece after his suggestion was selected. The Diana Theatre has seen four generations of the Paikos' family operate the theatre. The original Diana Theatre was closed for a few months in 1947 after a major fire.
The theatre was rebuilt and opened again on April 26, 1948. The single screen Diana Theatre is a throwback to gentler and warmer times. Movies are selected with families and Tipton area values in mind. The theatre includes a crying room for parents of crying children to still watch the movie without bothering their seat mates. Twice a year, Christmas & Easter, the Paikos' family gives back to the community by treating the children and families to a free movie.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.