16 E. Western Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Avon Theatre opened July 1946, designed in the streamlined, Art Moderne style of Art Deco, and was used as a movie theatre for nearly eight years until April 1954. The Avon Theatre was only one of a few theatres in the Southwest Valley during that period of time. In 1954, the owner could not afford to re-equip the theatre for ‘scope movies and so changed it to a retail operation.
After the theatre closed, the building was extensively renovated inside and was used as a grocery store, a department store, an alternative school and Veterans of Foreign Wars hall. Since 2006, it has been used as a reception hall for weddings and other activities. Called E & B Suenos, the building is currently owned by the Schneider Family Trust.
In May 2010, it was announced that the city approved the planned recreation of the original vertical sign of the theatre, which is the first time the city has approved replication of a classic sign. Town leaders concluded that the sign is significant to the city’s history and identity. The original white letters spelled ‘AVON’. New letters will be made from aluminium, and up-lighted so they will be iluminated at night.
The owners are replicating the original sign as part of a project in which seven Western Avenue businesses will have their facades renovated. The Western Avenue Exterior Renovation grant program uses federal Community Development Block Grant money for the Old Town Avondale buildings
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater