E.M. Loew's Theatre

174 Asylum Street,
Hartford, CT 06103

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Majestic (Loew's)...Hartford CT

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Opened February 8, 1915 as the Majestic Theatre it was designed by noted theatre architect Thomas W. Lamb. It was taken over by the E.M. Loew’s Theaters Inc. out of Boston and renamed E.M. Loew’s Theatre from March 22, 1930. The theatre was located on the second floor of a building and the lobby on the first floor.

It was still open in 1960, but like many of Hartford’s old movie palaces, it has been demolished.

Contributed by Roger Katz, Andy Rossetti

Recent comments (view all 10 comments)

William
William on November 19, 2003 at 7:37 pm

The E.M. Loews Theatre was on Asylum Street and it seated 1217 people.

William
William on December 8, 2003 at 4:24 pm

It was at 174 Asylum Street.

AlLarkin
AlLarkin on May 18, 2005 at 4:33 pm

To add to Mr. Katz’s and Mr. Rossetti’s descripion of this theater, the construction was unique in that both the main entrance and backstage faced Asylum St. This meant, not only did one have to go upstairs, but they also had to walk the total length of the theater in order to enter the auditorium. Of course, the balcony was another flight of stairs.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 23, 2007 at 5:53 pm

In the “Images of America” book Hartford, Volume II, on page 52, appears a 1960 photo of the theatre along with the nearby Allyn. Hard to read what was on the marquee at the time. The E.M. Loew’s would be be razed in 1970, along with its neighbor the Allyn, in preparation for the construction of the huge Hartford Civic Center.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 4, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Nice shot of the marquee and vertical, what about the address Asylum Street.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 29, 2010 at 6:40 am

An unusual booking for E.M. Loew’s in April 1950 was the Italian film The Bicycle Thief. The house did not normally show foreign-language films.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Elias M. Loew 1898-1984 once owned 70 theatres and 17 drive-ins, a chain of hotels and motels,one being the Gulfstream Drive-in that had a motel built on both sides of the screen it has its own page on C.T.

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on August 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm

From 1929 a postcard view of downtown Hartford along with the MajesticTheater.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on January 26, 2016 at 9:36 am

Constructed within the four walls of a commercial building that had been gutted by fire, the Majestic opened on February 8th, 1915, with photoplays only. The cinema operated as the Majestic for nearly fifteen years, but the conversion to sound bankrupted the owners, who sold the operating lease to E.M.Loew. After some renovations, the theatre re-opened as E. M. Loew’s on March 22nd, 1930. “Majestic” was scrapped, and never attached to the new branding.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater