207 Courthouse Square,
1 person favorited this theater
This small town theatre was built in 1925 in the little town of Inverness Florida. When completed, it cost $26,000 with velour curtains that cost $500 which was quite grand in the day. It was considered one of the most modern and beautiful theatres at the time. It opened with the movie “The Only Woman”, starring Norma Talmadge. Miss Mary Schofield was the pianist who accompanied the stars in the silent movies. Tickets were 10 cents for matinee and children performed vaudeville during intermissions.
Of course there is much more history including a fire, and Elvis Presley using it to view the daily shots of “Follow That Dream” during it’s production in Citrus County.
The theatre is now on the market for sale. It needs love and care but sits in the wonderful downtown district of Inverness. This area is a wonderfully busy part of the city with potiential beyond “the right person’s” grandest dreams.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater