34 W. Broad Street,
12 people favorited this theater
The Keith-Albee Palace Theatre was opened on November 8, 1926 with Bebe Daniels in “The Campus Flirt” as a grand vaudeville and movie house. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3 manual 16 rank organ which got little use once ‘talkies’ began. It became the RKO Palace Theatre (Radio Keith Orpheum) in 1929. The world premiere of Henry Fonda in “The Male Animal” was held at the RKO Palace Theatre on March 12, 1942. In December 1968 the Wurlitzer organ was removed from the building and has been installed in the auditorium of Thomas Worthington High School. After almost fifty years of first run films, the Palace Theatre was forced to close its doors in September 1975 and in 1978 was scheduled for demolition.
The theatre was renovated in 1979 and reopened in February 1980 as a performing arts centre. It was purchased in 1989 by the CAPA organization and is a now a premier venue for concerts, stage shows and more. It was closed in May 2018 for renovations to be carried out and these were completed in late-2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater