El Rancho Theatre
16856 C Street,
1 person favorited this theater
According to the Victorville Daily Press, Jack Baldock, a long-time community leader, built the El Rancho Theatre, wich opened on July 26, 1950, near where he closed his Victor Theatre. Baldock also owned the Mesa Theatre and the two drive-ins in Victorville. Baldock operated the El Rancho Theatre until he reluctantly closed it on May 20, 1984.
Vintage photographs show the theatre was often decorated with large banners and posters for special movies such as “Planet of the Apes”. Old-timers remember it for its many kiddie shows. A monthly program calendar from May of 1953 and a newspaper article with a photograph of Baldock sitting inside the auditorium near the time it closed can be seen at the Route 66 Museum, a few blocks away.
The building’s mid-century modern exterior, with poster cases and marquee intact is in fair but restorable condition and is now home to a Christian center.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater