Center Theater

120 W. Main Street,
Albemarle, NC 28001

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Stanly Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Operating as the Stanly Theatre prior to 1941. The Center Theater was part of the Stewart & Everett chain in the early-1960’s.

Contributed by Ken McIntyre

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

JackCoursey
JackCoursey on February 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

There is a long abandon theatre with an art deco façade at 227-9 West Main. Could this be the former Center/Stanley? If this is the case the status should be changed from Closed/Demolished to just Closed.

Artman
Artman on November 16, 2011 at 11:07 am

This building was not the Center theater and has never been a theater. This building was novalilty store. The Center theater was across the street and a block down. Albemarle has had several different theaters over the years. An open air theater, Albemarle Opera house, Columbia, Stanly, Center, Victoria, Lyric and the Roxy. I have photos of many of these and will post. The Stanly opened in 1930 to replace the Columbia that was two building down the street, West Main. The Stanly burned in the late 30’s and was rebuilt. In the 60’s it was closed, redone and reopened as the Center. The Victoria was on East Main and later became the Roxy. Lyric was on South Second Street. Alameda is on North Second Street.

Artman
Artman on September 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

The stone floor at the entrance of the Stanly/Center theater fell in this past summer. The building is in bad shape and is not for sale.

Two other theaters have been found in Albemarle, The Bijou and the Majestic. Bijou was open in 1908 and the Majestic was located in the Opera house.

Artman
Artman on September 13, 2012 at 5:20 am

The Building Vac and Dash is in was the Columbia Theatre. The Smith and Biles families built the Stanly Theatre and the owner of Columbia closed and managed the Stanly.

raysson
raysson on June 30, 2014 at 8:12 am

Artman: The Center Theatre in Downtown Albemarle remained opened until 1982. The opening of the Eastgate Cinemas was the demise of the Center’s closing and downtown’s only moviehouse to that time. The Stanly was burned to the ground in the late-1930’s and was rebuilt and reopened during the 1940’s as the Center Theatre. The Center Theatre was Albemarle’s only first-run cinema and it stayed in business throughout the 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s and all the way toward the early-1980’s until it closed. By the late-1970’s Stewart & Everett(which operated this theatre)turned the Center Theatre into a second-run discount house until it closed.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater