34 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built by the independent exhibitor Picture Houses (Derby’s) Ltd of which Oscar Deutsch was a director, the Royalty Cinema opened on 16th April 1931 with Ronald Colman in "Raffles" plus "The Laurel & Hardy Murder Case". The exterior was designed in a mock Tudor style, whilst the auditorium was in an early form of the Art Deco style that was a little plain but had a pleasent ambience. Seating was provided for 1,103 in the stalls and 347 in the circle.
By July 1935 Oscar Deutsch had established his Odeon Theatres chain and the Royalty Cinema was taken over fully by that company. It was re-named Odeon in 1936 and continued to operate until its closure by the Rank Organisation on 30th May 1964 when the final film shown was James Stewart in "Two Rode Together".
It was demolished in April 1965 and the site was re-developed for retail use, a Bonmarche womens clothing store stands on part of the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater