34 Queen Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Hippodrome Cinema opened on 10th October 1927 with Jack Pickford in "The Bat". It was operated by T.E. Markham and he continued to operate it, renaming it the Hippodrome Super Cinema in around 1939. The building was equipped with an organ (make unknown at the moment), a 32 feet deep stage and four dressing rooms. By 1944 it had been taken over by S. M. Super Cinemas and Associate Companies.
It was re-named Regal Cinema in 1952 and from 26th August 1954 Essoldo Circuit (Control) Ltd took over the running from Southan Morris. Essoldo closed the Regal Cinema in September 1966 with Virginia McKenna in "Born Free" and it became a bingo club.
After bingo closed it was converted into a Kwik Save supermarket. Both the exterior and interior of the building were altered for this use, although the lower sides of the proscenium were kept intact. Kwik Save had moved out of the building by April 2006 and in early-2007 the Wetherspoon chain of pubs had purchased the building, which opened on 10th December 2007.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater