Telenews Theatre

241 Euclid Avenue,
Cleveland, OH 44114

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 8 comments

rivest266
rivest266 on January 19, 2014 at 6:23 pm

August 3rd, 1951 grand opening ad as Tower also in the photo section.

rivest266
rivest266 on January 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm

February 1st, 1941 grand opening ad uploaded in the photo section.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on September 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Described in this 1941 trade article: Boxoffice

rivest266
rivest266 on March 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm

As Tower from August 3rd, 1951 View link

rivest266
rivest266 on March 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Telenews grand opening ad from February 1st, 1941 is at

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 23, 2009 at 2:47 am

Cleveland’s Telenews Theatre was featured in an article in the April 26, 1941, issue of Boxoffice. The design of the theater was attributed to Cleveland architect George Howard Burrows, best known for the hundreds of houses he designed in such neighborhoods as Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights. Boxoffice gave the seating capacity of the Telenews as 480.

Among the features of this theater were a modern art gallery featuring works by local artists, with exhibits changed twice monthly, and a radio studio (including seating for an audience) in the basement, from which programs could be broadcast over a number of area stations.

chspringer
chspringer on December 12, 2007 at 6:10 am

The Telenews open February 1941 and was sucessfull with an all news format which was popular in the pre television days of world war II. In 1950 the name was changed to the Coronet and began running art films. Unsuccesfull, after a few months the house was taken over by the management of the Hippodrome, the name was change to the Tower and it became a second run double feature house. It closed in Feburary 1954 and was converted back to retail space. With a lifespan of only 13 years, it was the last theatre to open on Euclid Avenue and was also the first to close.