No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on 9th June 1905 as Phillip’s Coliseum Theatre, it presented music hall acts, sketches and plays. The architect Arthur Jones created a three level theatre which has its main floor on the first floor of the building, entranced via a set of narrow stairs. There are shops at street level. The facade of the building is a lively collection of three bays of gables in the centre, containing windows and there are flanking bays on each side.
Upstairs in the auditorium, there are two horse-shoe balconies which had three rows of seats extending all the way down to the proscenium. Iron columns support the balconies. The stage was 14 feet deep and the proscenium was 24 feet wide.
By 1914 it had occassional film shows to support the live performances. In 1932 it was converted into a full time cinema, being re-named the Coliseum Cinema. It operated as an independent cinema throughout its entire life.
The Coliseum Cinema closed in May 1976. Some time later it was converted into its current use as the Ceredigion Museum and Art Gallery. All the original decorative features have been retained, making this a most unusual museum/art gallery space.
The former Coliseum Cinema is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater