Cross Hands Public Hall & Cinema
10 Carmarthen Road, Cross Hands,
1 person favorited this theater
The Cross Hands Public Hall is located in Cross Hands, near to Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, South Wales. It first opened in 1904 as a community hall. In 1926 the hall was extended and was modernised into an Art Deco/Egyptian style. It is known the architect was an Italian, but he is not named. The seating capacity was given as 650.
The Hall closed in 1984 and it became an eyesore to the community. In 1991 grants were applied for to re-open and restore the Hall, and it was re-opened in January 1997 following a 500,000 GB Pounds restoration. Films were initially screen on three nights a week. Later films have since become the mainstay of programming, although some live performances do take place.
The Cross Hands Public Hall & Cinema is run by the community and the staff are volunteers. It was designated a Grade II Listed building, and recently the status has been up-graded to Grade II* Listed building. Currently, it is the only cinema building in Wales to hold this honour.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater