Royal Playhouse Cinema
White Lion Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built in the late-1860’s as the New Assembly Rooms and located close to the Gate House Hotel in this south Wales seaside resort. In 1909 touring theatrical companies were appearing here and it was known as the Royal Gate House Assembly Rooms. From around May 1911 it was screening films.
The Royal Assembly Rooms were partialy re-built in 1928 and re-opened as the Royal Playhouse on 15th July 1928 with Reginald Denny in "Good Morning Judge" and Dynamite the Dog in "The Call of the Heart". Seating was now provided for 800 in stalls and circle levels (double the previous capacity) and there was a ballroom attached. It was independently operated and this continued until it was suddenly closed on 6th January 2010, due to lack of patrons, with only 12 patrons turning up on the opening night of the new Harry Potter film.
The Royal Playhouse Cinema is designated a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater