60 Main Street, Rutherglen,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Vogue Cinema is located in the Glasgow suburb of Rutherglen, to the south of the city. It was built for the George Singleton circuit and opened on 29th January 1936 with Cecil B. De Mille’s "The Crusades". The cinema was opened by Scottish performer Harry Lauder.
Built on a site which slopes steeply up from Main Street, some extensive excavation was required. The street facade is decorated in white and cream faiance tiling and is stepped upwards towards the centre. Passing through the entrance doors, there are several foyer spaces decorated with Corinthian columns, each one reach by climbing sets of stairs until the main auditorium is reached. Inside the auditorium, seating is located in stalls and circle levels. There are more columns on each side of the proscenium and the main lighting in the auditorium is concealed cove lighting.
The Vogue Cinema was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch Odeon Theatres Ltd. from 8th March 1937. It was re-named Odeon on 21st October 1946 and was closed by the Rank Organisation on 12th October 1974. It was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club, which has been operating for many years and continues today as a Mecca Bingo Club.
On 9th August 2005, Historic Scotland designated the Odeon as a Grade C(s) Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater