1821 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Orpheum Theatre opened in 1889 in Baker City. It ran until 1936 when there was a fire in the building. The theatre was boarded up for a time and then Ted Gamble (a Portland, Oregon movie theatre owner) leased, remodeled, modernized it and reopened the theatre in the 1940’s. The theatre was renamed the Baker Theatre.
It had a large balcony and CinemaScope screen. First run movies were shown daily until about 1955 when they went to a four day week. In 1956 the theatre was closed and sat vacant until about 1964 when it was remodeled into a hardware store. Later it became a clothing store and then a music store, who moved out of the building in 2015. In May 2016 plans were proposed to renovate and re-open the building, to be re-named Baker Orpheum Theatre. Much of the original decorative features will be revealed after being hidden for years behind false walls and ceilings.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater